In this tutorial, I will show you how to build full-stack (Vue.js + Node.js + Express + PostgreSQL) example with a CRUD Application. The back-end server uses Node.js + Express for REST APIs, front-end side is a Vue client with Vue Router and axios.
Vue.js + Node.js + Express + PostgreSQL example Overview
We will build a full-stack Tutorial Application in that:
- Tutorial has id, title, description, published status.
- User can create, retrieve, update, delete Tutorials.
- There is a search box for finding Tutorials by title.
Here are screenshots of the example.
– Add an object:
– Show all objects:
– Click on Edit button to update an object:
On this Page, you can:
- change status to Published/Pending using Publish/UnPublished button
- remove the object from PostgreSQL Database using Delete button
- update this object’s details on Database with Update button
– Search objects by field ‘title’:
Full-stack CRUD App Architecture
We’re gonna build the application with following architecture:
– Node.js Express exports REST APIs & interacts with PostgreSQL Database using Sequelize ORM.
– Vue Client sends HTTP Requests and retrieves HTTP Responses using axios, consume data on the components. Vue Router is used for navigating to pages.
Node.js Express Back-end
These are APIs that Node.js Express App will export:
|GET||api/tutorials||get all Tutorials|
|GET||api/tutorials/:id||get Tutorial by |
|POST||api/tutorials||add new Tutorial|
|PUT||api/tutorials/:id||update Tutorial by |
|DELETE||api/tutorials/:id||remove Tutorial by |
|DELETE||api/tutorials||remove all Tutorials|
|GET||api/tutorials?title=[kw]||find all Tutorials which title contains |
– db.config.js exports configuring parameters for PostgreSQL connection & Sequelize.
– Express web server in server.js where we configure CORS, initialize & run Express REST APIs.
– Next, we add configuration for PostgreSQL database in models/index.js, create Sequelize data model in models/tutorial.model.js.
– Tutorial controller in controllers.
– Routes for handling all CRUD operations (including custom finder) in tutorial.routes.js.
You can find step by step to implement this Node.js Express App in the post:
Node.js CRUD Rest APIs with Express, Sequelize & PostgreSQL example
App component is a container with
router-view. It has navbar that links to routes paths.
TutorialsList component gets and displays Tutorials.
Tutorial component has form for editing Tutorial’s details based on
AddTutorial component has form for submission new Tutorial.
– These Components call
TutorialDataService methods which use
axios to make HTTP requests and receive responses.
- vue: 2.6.10
- vue-router: 3.1.3
- axios: 0.19.0
– package.json contains 3 main modules:
– There are 3 components:
– router.js defines routes for each component.
– http-common.js initializes axios with HTTP base Url and headers.
TutorialDataService has methods for sending HTTP requests to the Apis.
– vue.config.js configures port for this Vue Client.
You can find step by step to implement this Vue App in the post:
Vue.js CRUD App with Vue Router & Axios
Now we have an overview of Vue.js + Node.js Express + PostgreSQL example when building a full-stack CRUD App.
We also take a look at client-server architecture for REST API using Express & Sequelize ORM, as well as Vue.js project structure for building a front-end app to make HTTP requests and consume responses.
Next tutorials show you more details about how to implement the system:
If you want a Typescript version for the Vue App, it is here:
Vue Typescript CRUD Application to consume Web API example
Happy learning, see you again!