In this tutorial, we will learn how to build a full stack Spring Boot + Vue.js example with a CRUD App. The back-end server uses Spring Boot with Spring Web MVC for REST Controller and Spring Data JPA for interacting with database. Front-end side is made with Vue & Vue Router.
More Practice: Vue + Spring Boot: File Upload example
Spring Boot Vue.js CRUD example
We will build a full-stack Tutorial Application in that:
- Each Tutorial has id, title, description, published status.
- We can create, retrieve, update, delete Tutorials.
- We can also find Tutorials by title.
The images below shows screenshots of our System.
– Add Tutorial:
– Show all Tutorials:
– Click on Edit button to update a Tutorial:
On this Page, you can:
- change status to Published using Publish button
- remove the Tutorial from Database using Delete button
- update the Tutorial details on Database with Update button
– Search Tutorials by title:
Spring Boot Vue.js Architecture
Now look at the application architecture we will build:
– Spring Boot exports REST Apis using Spring Web MVC & interacts with Database using Spring JPA
– Vue Client sends HTTP Requests and retrieve HTTP Responses using axios, shows data on the components. We also use Vue Router for navigating to pages.
– Database could be MySQL or PostgreSQL.
Spring Boot with MongoDB CRUD example using Spring Data
Spring Boot Back-end
These are APIs that Spring Boot App will export:
|POST||/api/tutorials||create new Tutorial|
|GET||/api/tutorials||retrieve all Tutorials|
|GET||/api/tutorials/:id||retrieve a Tutorial by |
|PUT||/api/tutorials/:id||update a Tutorial by |
|DELETE||/api/tutorials/:id||delete a Tutorial by |
|DELETE||/api/tutorials||delete all Tutorials|
|GET||/api/tutorials?title=[keyword]||find all Tutorials which title contains |
– We make CRUD operations & finder methods with Spring Data JPA’s
– The database could be PostgreSQL or MySQL depending on the way we configure project dependency & datasource.
- Java 8
- Spring Boot 2.2.1 (with Spring Web MVC, Spring Data JPA)
- Maven 3.6.1
Tutorial data model class corresponds to entity and table tutorials.
TutorialRepository is an interface that extends JpaRepository for CRUD methods and custom finder methods. It will be autowired in
TutorialController is a RestController which has request mapping methods for RESTful requests such as: getAllTutorials, createTutorial, updateTutorial, deleteTutorial, findByPublished…
– Configuration for Spring Datasource, JPA & Hibernate in application.properties.
– pom.xml contains dependencies for Spring Boot and MySQL/PostgreSQL.
You can find step by step to implement this Spring Boot Server Application in the post:
Spring Boot, Spring Data JPA – Building Rest CRUD API example
App component is a container with
router-view. It has navbar that links to routes paths.
TutorialsList component gets and displays Tutorials.
Tutorial component has form for editing Tutorial’s details based on
AddTutorial component has form for submission new Tutorial.
– These Components call
TutorialDataService methods which use
axios to make HTTP requests and receive responses.
- vue: 2.6.10
- vue-router: 3.1.3
- axios: 0.19.0
– package.json contains 3 main modules:
– There are 3 components:
– router.js defines routes for each component.
– http-common.js initializes axios with HTTP base Url and headers.
TutorialDataService has methods for sending HTTP requests to the Apis.
– vue.config.js configures port for this Vue Client.
You can find step by step to implement this Vue App in the post:
Vue.js CRUD App with Vue Router & Axios
Now we have an overview of Spring Boot Vue.js CRUD example when building a CRUD App.
We also take a look at client-server architecture for REST API using Spring Web MVC & Spring Data JPA, as well as Vue.js project structure for building a front-end app to make HTTP requests and consume responses.
Next tutorials show you more details about how to implement the system:
- Back-end: Spring Boot, Spring Data JPA – Building Rest CRUD API example
- Front-end: Vue.js CRUD App with Vue Router & Axios
Happy learning, see you again!