In this tutorial, we will learn how to build a full stack CRUD App example using Spring Boot, React and MongoDB. The back-end server uses Spring Boot with Spring Web MVC for REST APIs and Spring Data MongoDB. The front-end side will be made with React, React Router, Axios & Bootstrap.
Spring Boot, React, MongoDB example Overview
We will build a full-stack Tutorial Application in that:
- Each Tutorial has id, title, description, published status.
- We can create, retrieve, update, delete Tutorials.
- We can also find Tutorials by title.
– Create a Tutorial:
– Retrieve all items:
– Click on Edit button to view a Tutorial:
On this Page, you can:
- change status to Published using Publish button
- remove the Tutorial from Database using Delete button
- update the Tutorial details on Database with Update button
– Search Tutorials by title:
– Check MongoDB Database for all items:
Spring Boot, React and MongoDB Architecture
We’re gonna build the system with following architecture:
– Spring Boot exports REST Apis using Spring Web MVC & interacts with MongoDB Database using Spring Data MongoDB
– React Client sends HTTP Requests and retrieve HTTP Responses using axios, shows data on the components. We also use React Router for navigating to pages.
Spring Boot Back-end
These are APIs that Spring Boot App will export:
|POST||/api/tutorials||create new Tutorial|
|GET||/api/tutorials||retrieve all Tutorials|
|GET||/api/tutorials/:id||retrieve a Tutorial by |
|PUT||/api/tutorials/:id||update a Tutorial by |
|DELETE||/api/tutorials/:id||delete a Tutorial by |
|DELETE||/api/tutorials||delete all Tutorials|
|GET||/api/tutorials?title=[keyword]||find all Tutorials which title contains |
We make CRUD operations & finder methods with Spring Data MongoDB’s
- Java 8
- Spring Boot 2 (with Spring Web MVC, Spring Data MongoDB)
- Maven 3.6.1
Tutorialdata model class corresponds to entity and table tutorials.
TutorialRepositoryis an interface that extends MongoRepository for CRUD methods and custom finder methods. It will be autowired in
TutorialControlleris a RestController which has request mapping methods for RESTful requests such as: getAllTutorials, createTutorial, updateTutorial, deleteTutorial, findByPublished…
- Configuration for Spring Data MongoDB is in application.properties.
- pom.xml contains dependencies for Spring Boot Web MVC and Spring Data MongoDB.
You can find step by step to implement this Spring Boot Server Application in the post:
Spring Boot with MongoDB CRUD example using Spring Data
App component is a container with React
Router. It has
navbar that links to routes paths.
TutorialsList component gets and displays Tutorials.
Tutorial component has form for editing Tutorial’s details based on
AddTutorial component has form for submission new Tutorial.
– These Components call
TutorialDataService methods which use
axios to make HTTP requests and receive responses.
- React 16
- react-router-dom 5.1.2
- axios 0.19.2
- bootstrap 4.4.1
– package.json contains 4 main modules:
App is the container that has
Router & navbar.
– There are 3 components:
– http-common.js initializes axios with HTTP base Url and headers.
TutorialDataService has methods for sending HTTP requests to the Apis.
– .env configures port for this React CRUD App.
You can find step by step to implement this React App in the post:
React.js CRUD example to consume Web API
Now we have an overview of our Spring Boot React MongoDB CRUD example.
We also take a look at client-server architecture for REST API using Spring Web MVC & Spring Data MongoDB, as well as React project structure for building a front-end app to make HTTP requests and consume responses.
Next tutorials show you more details about how to implement the system (including source code):
Happy learning, see you again!