In this tutorial, I will show you way to build a full stack Angular 8 + Spring Boot + MongoDB example with a CRUD Application. The back-end server uses Spring Boot with Spring Web MVC for REST Controller and Spring Data MongoDB for interacting with MongoDB database. Front-end side is made with Angular 8, HTTPClient & Router.
Angular 8 & Spring Boot MongoDB CRUD example
We will build a full-stack Tutorial Application in that:
- Each Tutorial has id, title, description, published status.
- We can create, retrieve, update, delete Tutorials.
- We can also find Tutorials by title.
The images below shows screenshots of our System.
– Add Tutorial:
– Retrieve all Tutorials:
– Click on Edit button to update a Tutorial:
On this Page, you can:
- change status to Published using Publish button
- delete the Tutorial using Delete button
- update the Tutorial details with Update button
– Search Tutorials by title:
– Check MongoDB Database:
Angular 8 & Spring Boot Architecture
This is the application architecture we will build:
– Spring Boot exports REST Apis using Spring Web MVC & interacts with MongoDB Database using Spring Data MongoDB
– Angular Client sends HTTP Requests and retrieve HTTP Responses using axios, shows data on the components. We also use Angular Router for navigating to pages.
Spring Boot Back-end
These are APIs that Spring Boot App will export:
|POST||/api/tutorials||create new Tutorial|
|GET||/api/tutorials||retrieve all Tutorials|
|GET||/api/tutorials/:id||retrieve a Tutorial by |
|PUT||/api/tutorials/:id||update a Tutorial by |
|DELETE||/api/tutorials/:id||delete a Tutorial by |
|DELETE||/api/tutorials||delete all Tutorials|
|GET||/api/tutorials?title=[keyword]||find all Tutorials which title contains |
We make CRUD operations & finder methods with Spring Data MongoDB’s
- Java 8
- Spring Boot 2.2.4 (with Spring Web MVC, Spring Data MongoDB)
- Maven 3.6.1
Tutorialdata model class corresponds to entity and table tutorials.
TutorialRepositoryis an interface that extends MongoRepository for CRUD methods and custom finder methods. It will be autowired in
TutorialControlleris a RestController which has request mapping methods for RESTful requests such as: getAllTutorials, createTutorial, updateTutorial, deleteTutorial, findByPublished…
- Configuration for Spring Data MongoDB is in application.properties.
- pom.xml contains dependencies for Spring Boot Web MVC and Spring Data MongoDB.
You can find step by step to implement this Spring Boot Server Application in the post:
Spring Boot with MongoDB CRUD example using Spring Data
Angular 8 Front-end
App component is a container with
router-outlet. It has navbar that links to routes paths via
TutorialsList component gets and displays Tutorials.
Tutorial component has form for editing Tutorial’s details based on
AddTutorial component has form for submission new Tutorial.
– These Components call
TutorialService methods which use Angular
HTTPClient to make HTTP requests and receive responses.
- Angular 8
- Angular HTTPClient
- Angular Router
– There are 3 components:
tutorial.service has methods for sending HTTP requests to the Apis.
– app-routing.module.ts defines routes for each component.
app component contains router view and navigation bar.
app.module.ts declares Angular components and import necessary modules.
You can find step by step to implement this Angular App in the post:
Angular 8 CRUD Application example with Web API
Newer version: Angular 10 CRUD Application example with Web API
Now we have an overview of Angular 8 + Spring Boot + MongoDB example when building a CRUD App.
We also take a look at client-server architecture for REST API using Spring Web MVC & Spring Data MongoDB, as well as Angular 8 project structure for building a front-end app to make HTTP requests and consume responses.
Next tutorials show you more details about how to implement the system:
You will want to know how to run both projects in one place:
How to Integrate Angular with Spring Boot Rest API
Happy learning, see you again!